Pirate Polish

This blog is the home of Pirate Polish! To see Pirate Polish swatches, click here. To visit Pirate Polish on Facebook, click here.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters

Okay, so I promise that my next post will be a nail lacquer post, but right now I kind of wanted to continue the Revlon Colorburst theme by talking about the Lip Butters. Chances are you've heard about them, because there has been an incredible amount of buzz around them. And it's definitely warranted. Revlon Lip Butters are an extremely moisturizing balm-like lipstick with great colour payoff. That's pretty unheard of. Usually you get to choose between intense colour payoff that comes with a drying formula, or you get something like a moisturizing balm that has very little in the way of pigmentation. This is the best of both worlds. They are extremely comfortable on the lips, never drying, and can be worn as a sheer wash of colour or be built up to be opaque. 

Left to Right: Pink Truffle, Peach Parfait, Creme Brûlée, Creamsicle, Gumdrop, Cotton Candy, Cherry Tart, Candy Apple, Tutti Frutti, Lollipop, Sweet Tart

As you can see, I own quite a few of them- I find them to be pretty irresistible. They are so infinitely wearable and versatile, they've become a daily staple in my makeup routine. These are now part of the core Revlon line, so you can find them pretty much anywhere that sells Revlon cosmetics. I love that the colour of the packaging approximates the colour you'll find inside; I also appreciate the "window" on the top of the lid, which lets you have a look at the actual product inside:

L-R: Lollipop, Tutti Frutti, Gumdrop

I've attempted a few swatches of these- please excuse my ineptitude at capturing lipstick in photographs! I find I've finally gotten the hang of nail polish, but this is still a trial and error process. 

L-R: Pink Truffle, Peach Parfait, Creme Brûlée, Creamsicle. 

Top to Bottom: Creamsicle, Creme Brûlée, Peach Parfait, Pink Truffle

Out of this group, I think Pink Truffle photographed a little too red. It's more of a brown-toned neutral pink in reality. I find it's a good every-day colour, and goes with everything. Peach Parfait is a pinky-peach, with lots of gold shimmer in it. Creme Brûlée and Creamsicle are both very pale shades, and you would have to apply with a heavier hand to get them to show up on the lips. They both photographed a little too orangey here; Creme Brûlée is more of a shimmery light tan, and Creamsicle looks almost exactly as the name would suggest (a pale and very creamy peach-orange). 



Top to Bottom: Candy Apple, Cherry Tart, Cotton Candy, Gumdrop

Here you can really see the difference between Candy Apple and Cherry Tart. Both are red, but Candy Apple leans far warmer, whereas Cherry Tart is very cool and blue-toned. Cotton Candy and Gumdrop are very pale "barely there" shades, with the former being a light pink, and the latter being pale purple. I adore Candy Apple as an every day red. It always seems perfect, and it wears beautifully as a sheer wash of colour, or can be built up to a very vibrant red (I applied it heavier on the right side of the swatch for you to see this). Cotton Candy is a very close to my natural lip colour, and just adds a nice pinky sheen overtop, and Gumdrop is a subtle lavender colour. Gumdrop is pale enough that it might not work for everyone, but for me it's purple perfection. I've always been drawn to purple lipstick, but usually it ends up looking kind of corpse-ish on the lips. This doesn't give me zombie lips. I adore it! It's perfect, dreamy lavender. 


Top to Bottom: Gumdrop, Sweet Tart, Lollipop, Tutti Frutti 

Right to Left: Tutti Frutti, Lollipop, Sweet Tart, Gumdrop

I swatched Gumdrop again in this set because it was pretty hard to see in the previous one... not sure that this one is better, but perhaps? Sweet Tart is a bright hot pink that can be built up to be quite intense. Lollipop is perhaps my favourite shade, it's an amazing purple-leaning pink, and is super pigmented. The formula is incredible. And the last shade is Tutti Frutti, a very bright and pigmented orange. I'm an orange lipstick fan, and this one is great. 

Whew. That was a lot of lip butter. Out of these, my favourites are Candy Apple (perfect red!), Gumdrop (creamy lavender lips!), Cotton Candy (a "my lips but better" shade for me) and Lollipop (incredibly pigmented and eye-catching deep pink). 

Have you jumped on the Revlon Lip Butter bandwagon? What are your favourite shades? If you haven't tried them yet, did this post convince you to give it a try? 

10 comments:

  1. I think you've convinced me to get Tutti-Frutti... I absolutely love Candy Apple, Lollipop, Sweet Tart and Gumdrop. Creamsicle and COtton Candy look a little odd on me (I think), they made my lips look too pale. I'm thinking of trying them with other lip colors & see if that makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it's kind of strange, but sometimes I feel like my lips are more pigmented than at other times. I have no idea why this is the case, but sometimes Creamsicle and the paler colours in this line don't really work over my lips when they are flushed, but other days when I have paler lips they work really well. LOL. Does that make sense?

      Delete
  2. I love love loooove these. I've got Tutti Fruiti, Lollipop and Raspberry Pie. Can't get enough of 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I've been curious about Raspberry Pie for awhile. And I love the names! Makes me hungry. Bahaha.

      Delete
  3. I love these SO MUCH! I own Cotton Candy and Creamsicle and want to own all of them! They are my new go-to lip color. I hate how drying lipsticks are, but glosses wear off too quickly. These solve both problems! I just wish there was more product in each tube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- they are the perfect blend of moisture and colour! So comfortable to wear.

      Delete
  4. Candy Apple looks so delicious! I have so many red lipsticks, but I'm always craving more! Red is just so sexy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few other red lipsticks, but Candy Apple has become my favourite- it's just so easy to wear! Applied lighter it's a perfect red for daytime, and it builds up beautifully for evening.

      Delete
  5. gumdrop..aw i think i need that one :) i saw a youtube video on it the other day and yeah. i think i need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty awesome. If you get it, let me know what you think of it!

      Delete