Pirate Polish

This blog is the home of Pirate Polish! To see Pirate Polish swatches, click here. To visit Pirate Polish on Facebook, click here.

Friday, March 30, 2012

China Glaze Hunger Games Comparison - Harvest Moon

As soon as I saw the first pictures of the China Glaze Hunger Games collection I knew I had to have Harvest Moon. I have a weakness for all coppery metallics, and despite having several lacquers that fall into that category, Harvest Moon found its way home with me. This is a comparison featuring a few of the closest colours I have to China Glaze Harvest Moon. These are the likely suspects:

Left to Right: China Glaze Cracked Medallion, China Glaze Harvest Moon, MAC Originality, China Glaze Foxy, OPI DS Glow, OPI Pros and Bronze. 

Obviously, Cracked Medallion can't really be too similar to Harvest Moon because it is a crackle polish, but in the bottle they are similar, so I added it in. China Glaze Foxy is also far more red on the nail, but in the bottle a lot of the bronzy shimmer was visible, so that came along as well. Here they are on the nail:


Left to Right (index finger through pinky): MAC Originality, China Glaze Harvest Moon, OPI DS Glow, OPI Pros and Bronze. The thumb is China Glaze Foxy. 



I thought MAC Originality would be closer to Harvest Moon, by the latter is darker and warmer, with a slightly orange caste to it. The other shades are all leaning towards a lighter bronze. OPI Glow has a mixture of larger particles in different shades of gold and bronze. It's probably the sparkliest of these. OPI Pros and Bronze is unique in this bunch for being quite pink, along with the light gold/bronze particles it contains. It is also the sheerest polish in this bunch.


And here is my Cracked Medallion fail; I applied it over still-wet polish which caused it to not really crackle much at all. It's a sparkly medium bronze, anyways.


Out of these shades, I'm a big fan of both MAC Originality (one of MAC's home-runs when it comes to lacquers- they are notorious for being hit and miss in the polish department), and OPI DS Glow. Glow is lovely, but also takes several coats to build up to it's best potential. China Glaze Harvest Moon is significantly different from both of those polishes, and certainly unique enough to warrant picking up. It also has an outstanding formula; it's easy to apply and opaque in two coats. It's also gorgeous: pigmented and eye-catching, an incredibly sparkly deep copper metallic. Beautiful!

Copper Domo approves of this copper comparison. Do you?

29 comments:

  1. I have to agree with Domo, haha. I'm actually wearing Cracked Medallion right now but it didn't crack very much over dry polish :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I found the CG Crackles to be a bit tricky to work with. And they get so thick and gloopy after having been opened, even once. :P

      Delete
  2. Omg I love CG Foxy! I want it now! Lol...can you do a swatch of it, if you haven't already?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely do a swatch of it for you- I'll put it up sometime next week. :)

      Delete
    2. Fantastic, thanks so much! I'm thinking about heading out some time this weekend to see if I can find it and the rest of the collection because I've never seen it before and I'm really liking it...look what you done!

      Delete
    3. I really liked that collection (was it Vintage Vixen?). I also have Swing Baby and Midnight Mission and love them as well.

      Delete
    4. Yea I googled it, it was Vintage Vixen from 2010...so I hope I can still find it!

      Delete
    5. It should be fairly easy to find online. Try Victoria Nail Supply, that's where I purchase most of my CG's. They still have the Vintage Vixen collection (I love Classic Camel!)

      Delete
    6. Same for me, I LOVE foxy! I need to try to buy it too!

      Delete
  3. If Domo approves, there is no need to think otherwise, right ;)
    I look even more forward to it now, I have the Pros & Bronze too, but I would love to see swatches of Foxy too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- Domos usually have good taste. ;) And I'll post a swatch of Foxy sometime during the week. It's a beautiful polish, and I feel like it kind of got passed over when it first came out, so it's nice it's getting attention now!

      Delete
  4. I have a thing for copper/bronze shades....loved this post
    following you now :)
    http://fewunnecessarystuff.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot lie, your name now reminds me of the TrackerJackers from the Hunger Games... not nearly as deadly, just killer gorgeous nails ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, aww thanks! And LOL, I'll be thinking of Trackers Jackers now, too.

      Delete
    2. Also, I just thought of a new term: "Lacquer Jacker". It's someone who hijacks lacquer. The worst kind of thief! ;)

      Delete
    3. Haha!!! I love it!

      Delete
  6. Harvest Moon is a near dead on dupe for CG In Awe of Amber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that! In fact, I don't think I've ever heard of In Awe of Amber. Is it part of the core collection? I'll have to look it up...

      Delete
  7. I'll vouch for In Awe of Amber, too. As soon as I brought Harvest Moon home and put it next to IAOA, I thought I was seeing double. So much so that I suspect HM is recycled IAOA with a tiny tweak. When settled, HM looks like it has a larger fleck in the bottle, but shaken well and swatched, they look identical; even the formula is the same. I put one on each hand and it was two days before I noticed, in bright filtered sunlight, that HM has a nearly imperceptible gold flash that IAOA doesn't quite have. I just swatched them both side by side on one nail of a nail wheel, and I can't even tell where they met. If you have one, you probably don't need the other unless you like to collect sets. (IAOA may be discontinued; I got mine about two years ago and it still has the clearance sticker from Sally's on it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for adding your thoughts to this! I've looked up some comparison photos, and they certainly do look very similar. I don't think one would really need to own both, because they look like near dupes. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  8. You're welcome. I really enjoy your blog and I'm a bit of a copper-holic, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear you enjoy my blog! It makes blogging very rewarding when I get positive feedback from readers. Do you have any holy grail coppers that I should try? I like getting recommendations!

      Delete
    2. Hmm, I'm such an impulse buyer that I probably have all the coppers I've ever seen. LOL My current can't-get-enough favorite is China Glaze Ginger, a warm copper packed with silver microglitter and small round holo glitter. (I also love its 'big sister', China Glaze Mahoganie, pretty much the same glitters in a darker bronze; it's almost a linear holo. LA Girls has a 'lite' version of Ginger in their Rock Star line called Electric Guitar.)

      Delete
    3. Ohh, I almost ordered CG Ginger online once... now I'm wishing I had! I'll be keeping an eye out for the LA Girls version, though. Hope I find it! I've also been waffling over Revlon Copper Penny for the last year. I should probably just cave and buy it. :P

      Delete
    4. Yes! Copper Penny may be the best copper foil that I can think of.

      Just a few days ago I picked up Sally Hansen Diamond Strength in 501 Ring-a-Ding!, a clear base with mid-sized metallic hex glitters in pale gold, rose-gold, and a darker coppery gold. The overall look is somewhat similar to $OPI Traffic-Stopper Copper, but more dimensional due to the color depth.

      Delete
    5. I was just at the drugstore and happily the Revlon polishes were on sale- got Copper Penny as well as Royal. Looking forward to trying Copper Penny!

      Those new Sally Hansen Diamond Strength polishes haven't shown up here yet- are there a few must-haves? I do have Traffic-Stopper Copper and love it (got it 50% off, don't think I would have paid full price).

      Delete
    6. I have Royal, too, and mentioning it together with Copper Penny makes me think they'd work well together.

      In my area, these SHDS glitters came and went quickly. I only saw the display at one store and it was mostly empty (and now it's gone). I didn't get a couple I was interested in, but in addition to 501 Ring-a-Ding!, I got 507 White Veil (small white and medium pale gold hex glitter in clear base).

      Delete
    7. Ohh, the combination of deep blue with coppery foil would be beautiful! Maybe I can incorporate them both into a mani...

      Delete