Pirate Polish

This blog is the home of Pirate Polish! To see Pirate Polish swatches, click here. To visit Pirate Polish on Facebook, click here.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

China Glaze Luxe and Lush

I thought my Sally Hansen Smooth and Perfect mani in "Sea" (a very pale sea foam green) might make an interesting base for China Glaze Luxe and Lush. Luxe and Lush is from the new Hunger Games collection, and is a topcoat filled with large, jagged, reflective flakies. The predominate colours reflected are peachy-gold and blue, but this changes a bit depending on the lighting.





I applied one thick coat of Luxe and Lush, and topped it with a coat of Seche Vite. It is relatively smooth to the touch. I didn't find it too difficult to manage, although the larger and irregular shape of the flakes did make it more challenging than other flakey topcoats I've tried- Sally Hansen Hidden Treasure, for example. The overall effect is also more subtle than Hidden Treasure- to my eye, it does not contrast as much or appear as reflective. Instead it almost looks like crushed glass. Or crushed ice. Or, if you're feeling extravagant, maybe crushed diamonds. ;) Anyways, the overall effect is of large, jagged flakes that will catch the light and subtly reflect it in interesting way. I'm very pleased with this, and think it's unique from other flakey topcoats I've tried. I can't wait to try it over other colours!

Do you have China Glaze Luxe and Lush? What do you think of it?

Finally, I want to take the time to thank two very sweet bloggers for giving me awards.

Arfblat at SPLAT (tell me you don't have a blast saying that!) awarded me the Laine Blogger award. Definitely stop by her blog to check out the really cool skittles mani she did using contrasting shiny dots on a matte background. I love the contrast between glossy and matte, and this is a very cool rendition of the standard skittles mani! Thank you, Arfblat!

Niki at the newly minted For Lacquer of a Better Term, thoughtfully awarded me the Versatile Blogger award. I can't wait to see what she posts next, and I think she has one of the cleverest blog names I've come across in a long while. Thank you very much, Niki!

10 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I thought it would be different, the Luxe and Lush, that is. It looks a little like it might be the same kiind of flakies/glass flecks that are in Snow Globe from the the Holiday collection this winter - do you by any chance own that, and what are your thoughts??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have Snow Globe, and will do a comparison for you today. I'll also try to find something better to layer this over! I don't think it really shows the shape of the flakes that well... I do think they are quite different, even though that isn't so clear here. Snow Globe is more like... round particles? Where as this is jagged flakes. Anyways, comparison coming soon!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Me too! It makes me think of little chunks of chipped ice.

      Delete
  3. I've had Luxe and Lush on my wishlist for awhile, but haven't gotten around to picking it up yet. I think it's such a unique glitter/flaky that I have to own it! It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely unique, and worth owning, in my opinion. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I have Luxe and Lush and I agree, it's a little bit more difficult to apply than other flakies. It's definitely not too hard though. I like it on Sea...it reminds me of winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- very wintery! I can't wait to play around and see how it looks over other colours. I've heard it kind of fizzles over black, which is unusual for flakey polishes- usually that is when they come alive.

      Delete
  5. Very nice combination! I just ordered Luxe and Lush; I love polishes like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a unique polish- I haven't come across flakes so large and jagged before. It's a neat effect. And not as hard to manage as you would think, although it does take a bit more effort to get even!

      Delete