Pirate Polish

This blog is the home of Pirate Polish! To see Pirate Polish swatches, click here. To visit Pirate Polish on Facebook, click here.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Amazing Moisturizers (my cuticle care routine)

I wanted to share with you my favourite hand and cuticle moisturizers; the two I absolutely rely on to get me through winter (in a climate that is usually impossibly dry and cold- not an easy feat) are Neutrogena Norwegian Formula hand cream, and Badger Balm.


I've been using Neutrogena's Norwegian Formula hand cream for years, and absolutely swear by it. If you've never tried it, and you struggle with dry/cracking skin around your nails, it's well worth picking up. It has a very heavy feel to it, and because my hands feel "coated" after using it, I only apply it before bed... but waking up in the morning with super soft, hydrated hands it an incredible feeling. It repairs all the extremely dry, cracked areas I have overnight, and I don't feel like I have to be constantly applying lotion throughout the day in order to prevent further cracking. I can't say enough about this stuff! It's amazing.

The second product I've been using more recently, is Badger Balm. Now, before we go any further, let me get something out of the way.


Obligatory internet badger reference fulfilled, we can move on. I recently came across Badger Balm at a local organic/health store. So far, I'm thrilled with it; I rub it into my cuticles and any dry patches during the day, and it absorbs fairly quickly and doesn't feel overly greasy. Yet, it seems to really do the trick- it makes my cuticles look and feel very smooth and hydrated. This has a kind of herbal scent, but a pretty pleasant one- not stringent or offensively herbal-y. I like it much better than Lush's Lemony Flutter, which was effective, but very thick and greasy (not so great for applying during the day). And while I know people are split on Lemony Flutter's very strong lemon scent, I myself wasn't a fan. So, Badger Balm wins me over based on those factors. Also, it has a badger on it.

For a look at other Badger Balm products, you might check out their website. I couldn't help noticing that each label has a different, but equally adorable, badger on it. Now that's good marketing. ;)

What do you use to keep your hands and cuticles moisturized? Have you tried any of the ones mentioned in this post?


15 comments:

  1. I have a Badger in my refrigerator (a Cuticle Care mind you, not a real one hahaha), but I'm currently testing a few others, so I'll wait a bit. But it's really nice to hear that you are so pleased with the balm, do you know their Cuticle Care...
    LOL and the badger won me over...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried their Cuticle Care balm- I didn't see it at the store I was browsing in, so I opted for this instead. I'm assuming it might be a thicker formula because it's specifically for cuticles?

      Delete
    2. Yes, it probably is, but I'll not open it until I'll start using it :)

      Delete
  2. Bwhahahaha classic youtube clip! I've also been using the Norwegian formula handcreme for a while now and you're right its brilliantly moisturising. A really great product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so great- I've been pushing it on my friends and family recently, too. My only complaint is that I wish the tubes were bigger! I seem to go through it pretty quickly, but then again I really slather it on.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the tip, cause I DESPERATELY need something new for my cuticles!!!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever tried Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream? If you have I was wondering how it compares to the Badger Balm you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try it, about two years back. If I remember correctly, it has a thicker texture than the Badger Balm i've reviewed above, which is significantly lighter and not as greasy. At the time I was also using Lemony Flutter by Lush, and favoured that over the Burt's Bees Cuticle Cream (I wish I could remember more specifics about it, but I can't!). There is also a Badger Balm specifically for cuticle care- I imagine that might be closer in texture to the other cuticle creams mentioned, but I haven't tried it so I can't say for sure.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the tips! Right now I'm using Lush's lemony flutter, but it's so greasy I can only use it at night. It would be nice to have something for the day as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed about Lemony Flutter- I love that this Badger Balm soaks in quickly enough that I can use it during the day.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the recommendation! I've been using Sally Hansen's cuticle oil, but it doesn't absorb that quickly. I'll check out the Badger Balm (great vid, btw!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard lots of good things about Badger balms, must give them a try. I swear by Body Shop hemp hand cream. It really smooths my hands and cuticles. It is a heavy duty cream and I slather it on at night and wear cotton gloves sometimes to keep the moisture in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Body Shop Hemp hand cream- I didn't know they still made this! I remember buying it when I was growing up, shortly after they first launched their hemp line. I might have to re-visit this!

      Delete