Pirate Polish

This blog is the home of Pirate Polish! To see Pirate Polish swatches, click here. To visit Pirate Polish on Facebook, click here.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

China Glaze Smoke and Ashes (Caution: this review may contain Space Guerrillas)

This is Hannibal, the Mountain Guerrilla. Yes, he is wearing a space suit. He has a roll to play in this post, but before we get to that, let's talk lacquer, ok?


And that's China Glaze Smoke and Ashes from the Hunger Games Collection on my nails. Now, I've read tonnes of reviews about how Smoke and Ashes is one of the "must-haves" from the Hunger Games collection, and that it's much better in person that in the pictures. So I suppose I had high expectations for this polish. Let's see a few more pictures; this is two coats of Smoke and Ashes:







This is a glossy black polish with tiny specks of blue-green shimmer/glitter in it. It has a lot of depth, but the blue-green aspect isn't very obvious unless you look very close. To be honest, I'm not sure I would pick it as a winner from the collection. Yes, it's nice and has a lot of depth to it, but it's pretty much what you see here. From descriptions I've read, I was kind of expecting fireworks when I tried it on myself, and I like it, but it's not the most incredible thing I've seen. The formula was a little tricky, but super pigmented (almost good in one coat!).  

So that's it. Smoke and Ashes- a nice lacquer. Very shiny and it has a subtle blue-green sparkle to it. It kind of matches Hannibal, with his black space suit and green bubble helmet, who you met earlier in this post. If black polish is your thing (full disclosure- it's not my favourite colour to sport), then you'll probably love this. 

Well, I guess that about does it...


He IS a little ominous looking, isn't he? The human skull is a  bit disconcerting. And he HAS been eyeing my lacquer a bit strangely. 


Uh oh! It's a lacquer abduction! And I don't like how he's waving that ray gun around. I can't say I'm down with what this Space Guerrilla is up to, but if he tries this with another polish of mine, things might get ugly...

6 comments:

  1. Haha I love the toys! I just reviewed Smoke & Ashes today myself...and black is definitely my thing so I was totally thrilled with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- and I think I'll head straight over to see what you had to say about this polish!

      Delete
  2. Hannibal seems to be of a less sweet nature than the Domo's, couldn't they protect the polish against him, or is he too powerfull ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does seem rather less sweet, doesn't he? And, haha, I think you might have guessed where this little scenario is going! You will have to wait for another instalment of Space Guerrillas to see how things end up. ;)

      Delete
  3. I like the black looks really glossy. Some blacks can be a bit dull. This one is really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super shiny, almost wet looking... I really do like that about it. If you're looking for a glossy black, this is your winner!

      Delete